Thursday, September 27, 2007

Open Source: Paradigm Shift

For some time, I have been referring to the open source business model as a "paradigm shift" in the way software is developed and distributed. I use the term "paradigm shift" reluctantly because it has been so overused. However, I think that it is the best term for this change and I use paradigm shift in its original sense of a fundamental change in the industry. I am delighted to report that I now have confirmation of this view from Gartner's recent report: Gartner declared open-source software "the biggest disruptor the software industry [Gartner] has ever seen and [Gartner] postulated it will eventually result in cheaper software and new business models." They stated that open-source products accounted for a 13 percent share of the $92.7 billion software market in 2006, but should account for 27 percent of the market in 2011 when revenue is expected to be $169.2 billion, according to Gartner research. http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,2186932,00.asp